MargaretBolingMullin

MargaretBolingMullin

Revision Toolbox: Teaching Techniques That Work

The Revision Toolbox: Teaching Techniques That Work - Georgia Heard 6/7/11 ** Day 11 Book 13 ** Heard draws on her extensive experience as both a writer and writer-in-residence in many schools to craft this book about revision. The gist of the book is that revision is not something writers engage in at the end of the process, but something they do throughout. While Heard doesn't focus specifically on 6 traits, three chapters do deal with revision for words, structure, and voice, so the book will be useful to those who are follow the 6 traits teaching model.

As I read, I felt as if I was sitting in a classroom talking with Heard. Her voice is down-to-earth and engaging; her ideas are concrete and practical, drawing on examples from kids' writing and children's literature. This book is well worth having as a resource.

6/7/11 ** Well, I finally came back to this book and finished it. I skimmed/read the four chapters that I'd read in January and finished the rest more carefully today.

1/18/2011 ** Picked this up when I heard Georgia Heard speak in Oct. Thought the book would have some good ideas for writing mini-conferences. Started it yesterday and read 3 chapters with another one tonight over dinner.