MargaretBolingMullin

MargaretBolingMullin

The Dot (Irma S and James H Black Honor for Excellence in Children's Literature (Awards)) - Peter H. Reynolds 9/9/13 ** I first heard ish read aloud at a conference several years ago. I heard about The Dot when I read Colby Sharp's blog post about celebrations that he'd have with his students around literacy, passionate reading, and books this year. Thanks Colby for highlighting International Dot Day and the celebration of creativity and "making one's mark."

My students and spent the week reading the three books in this series (the third is Sky Color) along with other books about people who've made their mark. (We also read Wangari's Trees of Peace and Martin's Big Words among others.) On Tuesday we read Reynold's blog post about The Dot going to the International Space Station with Canadian astronaut Chris Hadfield and we watched his YouTube video about surface tension and water in a zero gravity environment. We culminated the week on Friday with the creation of dot artwork using coffee filters, markers, and spritzes of water. Next week we'll partner the artwork with writing about how we can make our marks on the world through citizenship and actions.

Thank you, Peter Reynolds, for the gift of your words and ideas.