MargaretBolingMullin

MargaretBolingMullin

King George: What Was His Problem?: The Whole Hilarious Story of the American Revolution - Steve Sheinkin, Tim Robinson 4/26/13 ** My new favorite author of history. Thanks Steve Sheinkin for leaving the "evil side" (author of text books), and joining the family of children's lit.

This very interesting book about the overall arc of the American Revolution, with an emphasis on George Washington was fascinating. I am reasonably well-read in U.S. history and have read many historical fiction books set in various parts of the Revolution, but by page 11 I'd already learned 3 new things.**

One of the things I most appreciated is that where possible (given the historic record), Sheinkin went out of his way to include information about the roles of women and non-White men. Likewise, the book is well-researched with an excellent (and categorized) bibliography for readers who want to know more.

After finishing the book, I was struck by several holes...I wanted to hear more about Nathaniel Greene, the fighting Quaker, and the war in the South, Charleston, the Swamp Fox, Tarrleton, etc. However, if Sheinkin had included all the fun bits he discovered, the book would have been 1200 pages long and off-putting for the intended audience! He made good calls about what to include.

** We have a local school named after Crispus Attucks and beyond knowing that he was an African American man important in U.S. history, I knew nothing about him. He was killed in an early skirmish in Boston.