MargaretBolingMullin

MargaretBolingMullin

The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic & Madness and the Fair that Changed America (Illinois)

The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America - Tony Goldwyn, Erik Larson 7/2/11 ** Absolutely fascinating. I'm trying to decide what to call it - literary non-fiction, a bio of two different people (Burnham-architect and Holmes-serial murderer), a bio of the World's Fair itself, something else?

I also found out that Holmes had ties to Indianapolis, having murdered a young boy in a house in Irvington.

As so many reviews said, you'll find yourself checking the cover repeatedly to see if this isn't actually fiction. It reads like a compelling murder mystery with lots of other facts thrown in.

6/4/11 ** About the 1893 Chicago World's Fair; saw it mentioned on GR or #bookaday. The reviewer enjoyed the mystery and the architectural elements. Said that it read very much like fiction, though it's well researched non-fiction. I thought it might make a good companion piece to Richard Peck's Fair Weather, which is also on my "to read" list.