MargaretBolingMullin

MargaretBolingMullin

Horton Halfpott: Or, The Fiendish Mystery of Smugwick Manor; or, The Loosening of M'Lady Luggertuck's Corset

Horton Halfpott: or, The Fiendish Mystery of Smugwick Manor; or, The Loosening of M'Lady Luggertuck's Corset - Tom Angleberger 6/13/11 ** Day 17 Book 20 ** Just from the title, you can tell that this book is likely to be over the top; it's a spoof of Victorian adventures with the pure hero, multiple evil villains, numerous miscellaneous characters, and a mystery. The author includes many dryly humorous asides addressed to the reader, in a style reminiscent of Lemony Snickett. Angleberger also clearly loves wordplay. Most character names have several syllables and are slight variations on actual words - as I read, I tried to find some hidden meaning in the names.

Soooo, following the traditions of the genre, the hero should get the princess in the end and the villains should all be vanquished. You'll just have to find a copy of Horton Halfpott and read it yourself to find out. I, for one, can't wait to read this book aloud to my fourth graders next year.