MargaretBolingMullin

MargaretBolingMullin

Candy Bomber: The Story of the Berlin Airlift's "Chocolate Pilot"

Candy Bomber - Michael O. Tunnell 3/23/2011 ** I just read @Mike Mullin's review - beautifully written and a reminder that when one does good things, good things often happen in return. I succumbed to peer pressure, or perhaps just reconsidered as I talked more with people about this tale. I've increased my rating to 5*.

3/20/2011 ** Tunnell has written a concise (about 80 pages) biography of one pilot involved in the Berlin Airlift - a man who began the effort to drop candy & gum for the children of West Berlin, in addition to the tons of food and fuel that the Americans, British, French delivered. I enjoyed Tunnell's take on this aspect of the history of WWII and the Cold War, but I didn't feel the awe that I remember feeling the first time I read about the Airlift, in H.S. history book (of all places). The text is augmented by photos and children's artwork which have been saved by Gail Halverson, the pilot in question. Another aspect that I appreciated is that Tunnell made clear that this was a team effort, not a heroic endeavor by one individual.

3/4/2011** One of my GR friends marked this a 'to read,' so I clicked through to read more. I've always been fascinated by stories of the Berlin airlift, perhaps as a result of visiting divided Berlin in the late 70s (when my dad was stationed in Heidelberg with the U.S. Army.) I thought the author's name sounded familiar and it turns out that he also wrote my favorite textbook on children's literature (as if a textbook could do justice to children's lit!) I've requested the book from the library. Looking forward to it.