MargaretBolingMullin

MargaretBolingMullin

Hunger (Riders of the Apocalypse)

Hunger - Jackie Kessler 12/28/2010 ** Yes, it really is amazing. I remember my mother-in-law talking about this book when she first read the ARC. When my husband turned into a prune in the tub last night, I knew that I'd have to tackle it, even though the topic is hardly fitting for a holiday break - it felt like it would be work to read. So far from the truth...

As I said in another review, the power of YA fantasy is the ability to tackle problems from our world in a new way. Through her position as Famine, one of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, Lisabeth is able to find her own inner strength, setting her on a path to acknowledge and battle her anorexia. Kessler pulled me into Lisabeth's world in just a few pages, seamlessly moving between "all-American suburbia" and scenes with the other Horsemen, War, Death, and Pestilence. Finally, Kessler's writing packs a punch - in relatively few pages for a YA novel, she uses poetic description and vivid images to make the reader feel what Lisabeth feels.

Wow - a must read.