MargaretBolingMullin

MargaretBolingMullin

Day the Crayons Quit

The Day the Crayons Quit - Drew Daywalt, Oliver Jeffers

4/17/14 **  My appreciation of this book is definitely a case where re-reading and personal connections can make all the difference. Okaaay...I have to admit that the first time I read this book, I was a little disappointed.  I knew that it was the #1 selling picture book of 2013.  I had a teacher-friend who raved about the book and its impact on her 3rd grade students.  I'd read Daywalt's social media posts and heard that he'd tweeted classrooms where kids were hooked on his books.  It's not that I disliked the book, I just didn't find that it was "all that..."

Again, this is definitely a case where re-reading and personal connections can make all the difference.  I had the chance to meet Daywalt at a book signing at my favorite Indie Bookstore - Kids Ink Children's Bookstore in Indianapolis.  Wow.  Listening him describe his conception of the themes in this book and in the sequel (in the final stages of production and likely to be named The Day the Crayons Came Back) was so intriguing.  He describes this book as being about "opening kids minds."  I now see the story as a way to build empathy and an appreciation of others' perspectives.  Re-reading helped me understand Daywalt's more subtle jokes and messages. ** Changing my rating from 4 to 5 stars. :)