MargaretBolingMullin

MargaretBolingMullin

Separate is Never Equal

Separate Is Never Equal: Sylvia Mendez and Her Family's Fight for Desegregation - Duncan Tonatiuh

9/6/14 ** Given that Tonatiuh has won the Pura Belpre Award in 3 of the last 4 years, and given the quality of this book, I'd keep my on it when the awards are announced in January!

Though I believe I was vaguely aware of the Mendez desegregation case, I was fascinated with the compelling story Tonatiuh wove - looking at the impact of the case on the family.  Because Sylvia Mendez' father was away for extended periods working on the case, her mother had to run the farm.  She also had cousins with a non-Hispanic name, auburn hair, and lighter skin who were NOT excluded from the the local school.  Like many critical issues picture books, this one carries the main story in the body of the picture book.  In addition, there is a detailed Author's Note at the back with more historical details (i.e. this case was 7 years prior to Brown vs. Board of Ed and Thurgood Marshall was invovled.)

I also found this book fascinating because after reading it, I realized that I had three other public library books by this author on my classroom shelves.  I know what I'll be reading on Monday!